Friday, May 27, 2011

A Movable Feast

It's been more than a week since returning from the SAQA Visioning Conference of May 19 to 22nd held this year in Denver at the Brown Palace Hotel.  The conference of several hundred professional and wannabe fiber artists was as inspirational as it was educational.  I've had a chance to reflect on all of the learnings and now have the light under my feet to move...move toward perfecting the art of the paint stitch method.  This is what I do; love doing and will continue to do in the quilt art genre.  Although there's still alot to learn on the painting front; I do feel comfortable dazzling cloth with inks; water colors; pastels and colored pencils. A lot of work is still needed in the area of thread paint and the final workmanship.  It will come.  This weekend will be a creative one.  Mind you, it's been a couple months since I've have been able to return to my studio in my new home,  which I dubed "A Movable Feast".  I will use that name in the same metaphoric tense that Ernest Hemingway used it when writing his famous book; It's the memory of a splendid place that continues to go with the moving traveler for the rest of life.  Where ever I am; whether working my day job or traveling somewhere special for a getaway; my thoughts always trail back to my studio and how I can do my own interpretation of a gorgeous site viewed and photographed from that day. 

The attached photo of the Acacia tree photographed in South Africa is a scene that is caught in my mind because of ut's magnificents, I would like to do an interpretation of in ink and thread.  Someday we'll see it manifested.  I'll keep you posted.  Until then, Living Creatively, Sandra

2 comments:

mtabar said...

Sandi, your blog is great, thanks for sharing your art-

Belinda said...

I love your blog, and I really liked the India Arie play at the end! It was great meeting you in Denver. Hope to see you in Long Beach.
Belinda

"First Kiss"

"First Kiss"
Innocence

Cheetah Girl

Cheetah Girl
QA Reader Challenge "Inner Animal"

Little Freida

Little Freida
I just love Freida Kahlo!

Madam Butterfly

Madam Butterfly
Inked / Thread painted face with 3D hair bun

"Hello down there!"

"Hello down there!"
Rare find of shrimp like creature in a iceshaft in Anartica

Kiss of a Rose

Kiss of a Rose
Quilt Visions "Fantasy Flowers" Challlenge

Spring Bouquet

Spring Bouquet
Another quilted portrait with 3D organza lillies and leaves

Quilted Denim Jacket

Quilted Denim Jacket
Close up of Shaunna's quilted photo

Simba!

Simba!
Cherrywood fabric challenge - Lion King's travelling show

Elephant at Mala Mala Safari Lounge

Elephant at Mala Mala Safari Lounge
Couldn't resist posting this water color work of an elephant on safari

Leopard at night

Leopard at night
Another watercolor

Geronimo

Geronimo
My quilted rendition of the proud Apache leader

Something to think about....

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up"



Pablo Picasso